Table of Contents:
ALL FINISHES ARE DURABLE, ECO-FRIENDLY AND LOW VOC
Wood : We finish all our wood with Agualente® PLUS Clear, which is a commercial-grade water borne coating pro-rated for interior wood surfaces. This finish has low VOC and it is GREENGUARD Certified, meaning it is non-toxic and produces no hazardous off-gassing during cure. This finish is resistant to yellowing and stains, making it ideal for household furniture.
Steel : All steel parts are professionally powder coated. Powder coating is a dry finishing process. The coating is applied electrostatically and then cured under heat to produce long molecular chains. These molecular chains are very resistant to breakdown. Therefore, powder-coated products are more resistant to scratches, chipping, abrasions, corrosion, fading, and other wear issues. This method is more sustainable than conventional paint because it takes place in a sealed environment. The unused powder is collected and reused. Leaving little to no air pollution and waste… It’s tougher, lasts longer, and is environmentally advantageous.
We offer three different types of wood: Ash, Reclaimed Pine or Black Walnut
- Ash: The 1" thick Ash is ethically sourced throughout the Pacific North West. The Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus Planipennis or EAB) is an insect responsible for the destruction of tens of millions of ash trees throughout North America. We work with companies to ensure these trees do not go to waste. The femininity of the Ash combined with the masculine brackets makes for a unique and elegant shelving unit.
- Black Walnut: The 1" thick Black Walnut is ethically sourced throughout the Pacific North West. It is one of the most valuable and unique species of hardwoods in North America. It has a rich brown lustrous heartwood. The grain pattern is between grainy woods, like oak, and uniform textured woods, such as maple and poplar. Black Walnut elevates any contemporary, modern, or industrial home.
Reclaimed Pine: The 1.5" thick old-growth pine is salvaged from early 20th century demolition homes in St. Louis, MO. The term "old growth" refers to the type of forest of the tree from which the wood came. These trees grew naturally for over 200 years, during a time before massive deforestation. Since they grew in a dense forest, they received less light and grew slower than newer timber. This slower growth allowed for a tighter ring pattern and denser wood. An estimated 90% of these forests were cleared in the United States by the early 20th century. Today, "old growth" wood is strictly available through architectural salvage since the remaining trees are protected by the US Forest Service and no longer harvested. We offer two different options for finishing reclaimed pine: Natural and Surfaced Planed.
- Natural Finish: We simply sand and finish. This produces a darker overall color and texture with a slightly uneven surface.
- Surface planed: We take off the top and bottom layer with a surface planer, making a more even surface and lighter color variation.
The Nature of Reclaimed Wood
We cannot guarantee the wood you receive will look identical to the one in the product shot. Although, all surface imperfections are natural and tell a story that spans over a hundred years, making each piece unique and truly one of a kind. We do our best to represent the color, design and grain shown in the product images, but please allow for slight variations due to the unique character of the wood. By placing this order you agree to these variations.
Unique characteristics include but are not limited to:
- Cut sides will be lighter color than wood top. Interior of wood was not exposed to oxidation and dirt over the past century. Therefore, when we cut the pine to size from a larger piece, you get a lighter interior (the cut side).
- Nail Holes
- Worm / Insect Holes
- Uneven Edges
- Saw Marks
- Beautiful color variation from light tan to black
- Hand-notched holes from where the floor joists slid in
- Paint remnants
- Plaster Wall lines
Yes, we can send you samples of the wood species we offer. We charge $25 for a set (price includes shipping). Simply reach out to us and request the samples you’d like. If you do end up ordering furniture, after you receive the samples, we will deduct $25 from the total order price.
American Steel - Why the Origins Matter
We proudly use American steel and support American manufacturing. American steel is consistent, stronger, environmentally friendly and ethically produced, unlike Chinese steel (leading competitor).
"American steel manufacturers are held to a set of standards created by organizations like The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) that determine the appropriate chemistry mixes for different types of steel. These standards are intended as a safety precaution to ensure the right quality of the metal is being used for the right product. Companies in China are producing steel at a faster rate, flooding the market and dropping prices. It is produced at a rapid rate and it is not held up to the same quality standards as American steel. American steel requires some rigorous testing before it can be sold, but Chinese companies are not required to conduct these tests. These tests help keep buildings standing after a hurricane or earthquake and help prevent the steel from becoming brittle and beginning to crack when it is being welded. In addition to testing, American companies are under more strict guidelines for the environment. Carbon emissions in China are two times greater than they are in America for the same amount of steel. Steelmakers in America spend 80 percent more per ton of steel to reduce the pollution levels to both air and water than a steelmaker in China." - Gensteel.com
How do I install the wall shelves? Please see our installation manual
What is the weight capacity of the shelving? The shelf brackets are made from solid steel channel. We specifically designed the bracket to be load bearing. When installed properly, the shelves can hold 100lbs per linear foot . Brackets must be placed no more than 24" apart. Brackets placed more than 24" apart will reduce weight capacity.
How do brackets attach to wall ? Brackets mount to wall in several locations, hidden behind each shelf. This displaces the weight evenly throughout the bracket, making for an extremely sturdy design.
Do brackets need to be mounted on stud? NO.
Are wall mounting anchors included? NO. There are many different wall constructions that require different anchors. For this reason, we DO NOT include wall mounting anchors, only the screws to attach the wood shelves to the brackets. We do have a list of recommended wall anchors for each wall construction on the second page of the installation manual.
Do shelves attached to the brackets? YES. The shelves attach to each bracket rung in (2) locations. Wood screws are provided.
Do you sell brackets without the shelves? YES. shelving brackets sold individually so you can purchase as many as you need to fit your project. We recommend placing a bracket at least every 24" for maximum weight capacity. shelving bookend brackets sold in sets of 2.
FREE SHIPPING IN CONINTENTAL USA
Most furniture will ship via UPS Ground. We will provide tracking number within 24 hours of shipment.
Freight Shipping Procedure
Some furniture pieces may require freight shipping. If that’s the case, we will provide you the following information:
- The shipping company name: we will let you know which logistics company is transporting your precious cargo.
- BOL (Bill of Lading): which contains the tracking number and ETA.
- Photos of the shipment: Use these photos as a reference. Please do not accept the shipment if it is severely damaged / does not appear as it does in the photos. The shelving is insured for damages, but it is much harder to prove that the shipping company damaged the shipment if you sign off on it. (This has never ever happened to us before, but we like to give you a heads-up just to be safe. Please contact us immediately if you are unsure about signing off.)
If the destination is residential, the logistics company will reach out to you to set up a delivery appointment but feel free to call them and reference the tracking number if you do not hear from them.
Wall Mount Shelving installation manual.
Furniture Assembly Requirements Furniture will ship with steel base detached, so minor assembly is required. Holes are pre-drilled into the wood with metal inserts. We provide bolts for easy assembly. Use a Philips head screw driver to tighten bolts. If more assembly is required, instructions will be provided.